The shay loco at Crosby and Harbor Streets will be operated for members and guests on Saturday, February 14th. The firing will start at 9:00 A.M. and operation will commence by 12:00 A.M. Members desiring instruction in the operation of our steam locos should be present at the firing to learn all the operations. This operation may be the last one for some time due to the necessity for PSRMA to find another location for it quickly due to strained relations with Santa Fe. If the locomotive is moved to another location it will have to be somewhat dismanteled for the move and may not be reassembled until the museum finds a permanent sight for it and the Coos Bay loco.

Operation will last on the 14th until members are ready to go home-no limit on the time available as long as fuel is available. For further information on the operation call our general superintendent Bob DiGiorgio at 448-6161.


The public steamup on New Year's Day was the most successful one we've ever had, due primarily to the best all-out effort by the largest number of members. The results were a lot of fun for both members and public, and our first financially profitable steamup.

Last year we caught by surprise and unprepared for the unexpectedly large crowd that showed up. This year we were ready. Dave Parkinson and Chop Kerr headed up a ground crew that did an outstanding job of taking care of the public. Chop and Bob Carr, among others, operated the "station", where riders were helped aboard the shay, a very successful job of selling REPORT and memberships was done, and around $75 in donations were received. Jerry Windle and Myra Matson operated our first refreshment stand, with a welcome profit and important experience gained in this new venture.

Operation of the shay went smoothly, with only minor problems, chiefly in the brakes and a leaky valve rod packing, two bugaboos which keep defying repeated efforts of the maintenance department to repair. Thanks to a training session conducted by Terry Durkin, we were well staffed with brakemen who knew how to give clear signals, providing an added measure of safety to the operation. The operation was highlighted by a lot of fancy whistling, thanks to the efforts of Bill Richards, who reworked the whistle pipe to accept two additional whistles. Besides the shay's usual 5-tone whistle, we heard the Coos Bay #11's deep 3-tone whistle, and a single-tone from the Seaboard Air Line, loaned by Terry Durkin.

The night before, a group of members enjoyed a good time of night running and welcomed in the New Year in grand style with all those whistles and the bell.

We know we've left out a good many names of hard workers whose contributions were essential to our success, and our thanks go to everyone who pitched in. One of the next improvements we have to make in our operations is an accurate method of keeping track of workers, so everyone gets the credit due him without depending on the feeble memories of someone like me! (R.R.D.)


The past year was an active one for the various committees of PSRMA. In June, a REPORT committee was formed following the untimely loss of member Charles Kent. A six-man committee took over the duties of compiling, writing and mailing the monthly REPORT to more than 200 people connected with PSRMA activities. Tom Matson took over as editor being assisted by Jerry Windle, George Gyer, John Hathaway, Bob Digiorgio and Karen Lindquist. The Ways and Means Committee, one which is becoming more and more important to the future of PSRMA was organized. Jerry Windle was selected as chariman. Chop Kerr, of the committee, spearheaded a railroad film festival which will be a first for PSRMA. Efforts are being made to contact various foundations for assistance as well as other areas to gain finances.

The land committee was reorganized under the direction of Dave Parkinson. With the upcoming removal of our equipment from the Santa Fe, this committee has the most important job in the museum at the present time. Efforts are being made to locate private spurs for temporary storage and a search is being conducted for a more secure location for our museum.

A Special Activities Committee was formed for the first time with Kent Anderson taking over the duties as Chairman. The committee will be responsible for handling special events such as excursions, the film festival and any other activities where the public will be directly involved.


In retrospect, 1969 was a year of museum equipment acquisitions (a box car, two tank cars, a luxury passenger car, and a snowplow), increased exposure to the general public, more training, and a stepped-up land effort. However, the year was not without problems.

Union Pacific coach No. 576 was acquired from that railroad for a special reduced price and, with museum members aboard, moved to San Diego, where it was stored on a leased portion of Santa Fe track No. 21 for eventual use as an excursion vehicle.

North American Car Corporation of Chicago donated a beautifully restored 1941 vintage wooden boxcar, and upon arrival in San Diego, was immediately put to use as a storehouse for museum supplies.

A week later, freshly-painted and overhauled, two 45-year-old tank cars arrived as a donation from the General American Transportation Corporation and space began to get short at track 168, leased from the Santa Fe in 1968.

With but one day remaining in 1969, Calumet & Hecla, a subsidiary af Universal Oil Products Co., donated a rare Russell snowplow, veteran of 70-odd Michigan winters.

On January 1, 1969, the museum staged its, first New Year's Day Steamup since moving from the old Standard Iron Works spur. Public response was so encouraging that plans were made to make it an annual event until a permanant museum site was found. The event received good coverage by two local TV networks and the Press.

The success of this endeavor dictated a step forward in our educational function. It was decided to open the locomotive to the public on a static basis each Sunday afternoon from 14 pm, provide museum personnel to answer questions and solicit memberships, and advertise the activity in the local newspaper. This proved to be an enjoyable and successful method of creating public interest in the museum effort and informing them of its existence.

The March 6th edition of the San Diego Evening Tribune featured an excellent full-page photo story on the museum and its activities.

July 5th and 6th was a field day for members only, when Shay No. 3 was fired up and operated for the instruction of future enginemen and for the enjoyment of the members present. Much valuable training was offered those who took part.

Several very informative classroom lectures were provided by our Master Mechanic, dealing with the air brake and the steam locomotive. Restortation was resumed on our 1926 White line truck (formerly San Diego Electric Railway), which, it was discovered, was a 1923 model in disguise.

Land for our peramanent museum facility remained the number one goal throughout 1969, and during the latter half of the year, a determined investigation began with renewed vigor in San Diego County's back country. Prospects were encouraging.

There were problems, too. The Santa Fe Railway reminded us that the freight cars could not be stored on track 168, under the terms of our lease, and that storage charges would be assessed on the cars until they were moved. An immediate search was begun for a new storage site, but at year's end, another site had not been found.

Money was always in short supply throughout most of the year, as in past years, and it became difficult to retire any of the principal on the loan which financed the purchase and movement of UP car 576. Income fell far short of budgetary goals and a Ways & Means Committee was formed to search out new avenues of fund raising.

A planned rail excursion to Puerto Penasco, Mexico, was thwarted by Operation Intercept in November, and was rescheduled for Spring, 1970.

So, 1970 began with three priorities: Improve relations with the Santa Fe Railway; strengthen the Museum's financial status; and seek an acceptable solution to the land problem. We're all looking forward to that day, hopefully soon, when we will be able to begin laying our own track and constructing the rest of our permanent museum on our own land.

Our work has been cut out for us. Let's support these objectives to the limits of our abilities. Your elected officers cannot do the whole job by themselves. They need help. They need YOU!!

Richard E.Pennick


Please note the financial sheet. We have outstanding loans of $1650.00 and many expenses to come. Incoming dues are helping but additional donations are needed. Also the snow plow and other equipment such as trolleys are to be acquired for the museum which will need your financial support. Please donate what you can and use, handy donation and renewal form provided in this REPORT.