PSRMA'S AUGUST MEETING IS SCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY, AUGUST 15, 7:.30 P.M., at the Old Library Building in El Cajon. Eighteen members attended the July meeting and there was much said about the many PSRMA activities. Read on and you'll know why you should attend the next meeting. PSRMA is catching on - much is happening - interest is building. Join the gang on August, 15.
ACTION AT THE JULY 18 PSRMA GENERAL MEETING INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING:
- Heard about the acquisition of 460 feet of rail (see separate story).
- Directed the Board of Directors to bid on a sizable amount of additional rail.
- Authorized Wally Duthie to proceed on planning of the September 26 San Diego Harbor to Mission Bay Star & Crescent Boat Co. excursion and on a Santa Fe National Orange Show excursion in March 1966.
- Replenished the revolving fund.
- Authorized Jack Stodelle to arrange an early October PSRMA movie show at the North Park theater. Films will include the "Rainmaker," "Silver Streak" and short subjects.
- Acknowledged a donation of a relay for the wig wag.
- Inspected the new PSRMA excursion "tear off" tickets.
- Authorized Walter Hayward and George Geyer to purchase fare boxes and other equipment from the San Diego Transit System.
- Welcomed several new members. (See list elsewhere in this issue or in the next issue.)
- Master Mechanic Charles Gerdes and Superintendent Walter Hayward's job order book includes 40 programmed jobs for the restoration of Santa Maria Valley Railroad Car No. 9. To date, all glass and several metal panels have been removed. Repair of the wood underframe at the rear end of the rear bumper is needed. The motor is apparently in good condition and may not need an overhaul. Parts needed include a distributor cap, headlights, radiator, and drive shaft. The carburetor will be overhauled.
- Forwarded a letter to RHSofSD reporting the successful staffing of SDERy 528 at the Del Mar Fair.
- Requested the Board of Directors review the PSRMA dues schedule.
- Heard a report by Terry Durkin about the search for steam locomotive.
- Heard Dick Pennick, Charles Gerdes and Walter Hayward review progress in the current negotiations for a lease of South County land for a museum.
- Received an answer from the El Paso City Lines in regard to the availability of a street car. Service continues and PSRMA was asked to keep in touch.
- Lee Adams urged members to join the work parties. Thursday evening is the regular night. Call him if you're reporting for work at another time.
ACTION AT THE JULY 22 BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING WAS AS FOLLOWS:
- Recommended that the dues schedule include regular dues of $5, associate membership dues of $3, and contributing (excursion fund) membership of $1.
- Reviewed plans for the September 26 Star & Crescent Boat Co. trip.
- Authorized a bid for 50 tons of rail.
- Reviewed progress on the Car No. 9 restoration program.
RAIL HAS BEEN ACQUIRED BY PSRMA. Over 460 running feet of rail has been purchased, removed and stored by PSRMA. Rail came from the one-time SD&AE-served lemon packing plant, spur in Chula Vista. (SD&AE's line to downtown Chula Vista is no more.) Also acquired according to Dick Pennick who coordinated the project were tie plates and two bumper posts.
THE HARBOR EXCURSION MOTOR VESSEL "SILVERGATE" ON SEPTEMBER 26 will not turn back as it draws even with the ocean end of the San Diego Harbor breakwater. No indeed! It'll head
BACK HOME EXCURSIONS GALLERY FAQ HISTORY STORIES SOUNDS LINKS