San Diego Railroad Museum Campo Facility Gallery

San Diego Railroad Museum Campo Facility Gallery

(Click on picture for full-sized image)


Campo Depot Picnic Area

The San Diego Railroad Museum depot and gift shop, with a thick layer of frost on the roof. Campo's elevation is 2,500 feet and has rather varied weather. A winter's morning might greet the sun with the thermometer at 25 degrees F. But by noon it could very well be 70! Summer days are usually warm and dry with cool nights.

Shown is the picnic area with the BoxCar Theatre in the background.
Picture date: November 26, 1994


Campo Depot

The San Diego Railroad Museum depot and gift shop.

Note the original semaphore, which is still functional. This building dates from 1914, when the railroad first reached Campo. A siding, the mainline and house track are to the left.

This is the point of origin for the Museum's Excursion trains.
Picture date: November 26, 1994


Campo Scenes

Photos by Randy Houk

Triple Switch

The San Diego Railroad Museum's infamous triple switch. This is a former Santa Fe switch which was donated to the museum when trackage in downtown San Diego was torn up. It's probably the only one remaining in the southwestern U.S.

We have to be extremely careful in moving across this switch, as it is very easy to derail on it. Usually, the brakeman stands next to the switch as a movement is made slowly across it, ready to give the STOP signal if a wheel climbs the point!

In this old photo, the switch is shown lined into track #1, and track #3 is under construction.
Picture date: Early 1980's

Scanned by Randy Houk

Last update: 18 Sep 1995

Please address all questions/comments to: webspinner@sdrm.org.